Sunday 1 August 2010

Japan : Good To Be Back

Tokyo is one of the most incredible yet confounding cities I’ve ever been to. Covered at night from ground to sky with blazing, eye-ball searing neon, constant flashing lights, car horns and calls make for the relentless hustle and bustle. For a man who sees it in snippets I’m nothing if not consumed by the vibrance of it all; just strolling through is like a beautiful attack on the senses, and with every step taken I feel to reach for the camera to show you what it’s truly like, but never will a photo alone snap the magic of Tokyo.

Why this city furthers to amaze me is just how easy it is to slip from that frenetic, 24hr hustle of the high-road and suddenly find yourself in a new world of tranquil backstreets, owned only by the scent of ‘Old Japan’, although that might just be the noodles. Keep walking and you’ll keep finding them, these peaceful little classic Japanese noodle shacks, crafted in wood by the quintessence of its instantly recognisable culture.

We landed from London yesterday morning, only 11 hours of a mixture of sleeping, watching films and reading and you’re the other side of the world – crazy! Would love to try and tell someone 200 years ago that would be possible, I’d imagine they’d also ask what a film was. Interesting how life develops, just like Japan has developed for me as a place I’m getting more and more familiar with. The language, the people and the city – listening, learning and loving. We always stay in this place called Shibuya (one of Tokyo’s many sub-cities that makes up this amazing conurbation), and the view from the hotel looks down upon the busiest people crossing in the world; breathtaking scenes, every 2 minutes the cars all halt and thousands and thousands of people swarm like beautiful little Japanese bees crossing to getting on with their busy lives. My next move is to do it on someone’s shoulders holding a video cam (soon to be posted on this blog)!















Jetlag’s a bit of a killer but what better way to ease yourself in than a cheeky siesta followed by a stroll round Tokyo with some in-ear headphones blocking out all sound but the music chosen – I stuck on Train’s new album (you know that Hey Soul Sister, Drops of Jupiter band, great album), just walked, didn’t stop, didn’t talk, just watched the world go by. Later that evening I met some friends for a few drinks that I’ve been looking forward to seeing since my last tour in October and took to the town of Tokyo for what was nothing but the perfect first night of this 3 week little venture to the East. Next stop – Zushi – the beach.


14 comments:

  1. i pity that you do not have much rest. just commenting that you need to have ample rest though the busy schedule! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. tokyo sounds very interesting :)
    and steve? i loooove your music <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for your Singapore gig! I love you and i loooove your music!
    See you soon? ;)

    - Reeka

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to hear from you Steve.
    Keep updated this blog please :)

    I'm looking forward to seeing you again
    and my friends also are SO excited for your show.

    p.s. I like the photo♥

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna go to Zushi and see you there but I can't :(
    anyway hope you'll have a lot of fun in Japan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve! Welcome back to Japan!
    Im Japanese girl :)
    I often go to Shibuya!
    Enjoy Japan<3
    I will go to "HMV" event in Aug 4!
    I can't wait x)
    I can shake hands with you! x
    I love you so much :)♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve! Welcome back to Japan!!
    Please protect yourself from the heat
    and enjoy the gig outside!
    I'll be waiting for you in Osaka,
    summer sonic:)
    cheers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve,
    Good to have you back in Japan.
    Shame that I won't have time to come and see you but I hope you'll enjoy every minute of your stay:)
    Love X

    ReplyDelete
  9. steve.
    when are you going to do some gigs in your own country! couldn't get to london, so howabout notts, birmingham or even derby ;D yes yes.
    well have an awesome time in Tokyo, sounds amazing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. PLEASE come to england :( i really want to see you live, and please go to london cause thats close to me (: <3 please please please please please i love your music so much and you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve.

    hope u like Asia everywhere ~ everything

    and...

    pls come to Taiwan ~

    visit 101

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you forgotten about England the place you was born and brought up?! come back to us steve we miss you. it's great that you're having a great time with your gigs in Japan but what about doing more over here too (Birmingham)i'd love to see you and so would my mates, please make that dream a reality bycoming back to the uk and performing! so that I can see you. loving your music you have great talent and i shall continue to support you
    you're the best =D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. good journey in japan!!
    take care and reach your sounds!

    ReplyDelete